Tender Mercy

Some of you have heard my story, most of you have probably not. I need to tell the story of my Grandma's passing in my own words as it is an experience that I will never forget and I don't want to forget.

It was a week ago today, October 8th 2008, that my Grandma Evy passed away. Wednesday's at our house involve school, gymnastics, and our weekly visit to Grandma. Last week was no different. We left gymnastics and headed to Canyon Breeze Assisted Living Center for our weekly visit. I got Kylee and Nick settled in Grandma's room,as I always did, and took Austin with me to wave at Grandma who was just finishing up in the dining room. She hated the food and was always thrilled for an excuse to leave the table! As I walked out of her room she was walking down the hall towards us. She saw us, outstretched her arms for Austin, and he took off running. He jumped into her arms and she gave him a big hug. I got to them, she stood up and smiled at me, then collapsed into my arms. That was the last breath that she took.

As I was waiting for help to arrive, I sat and held her and stroked her hand. I thought about all the lives those hands had touched over the years. The wonderful cakes, carmalitas, and lefsa those hands had made. I remembered eating buttermilk pancakes every time we would visit and how they were blended to perfection by those beautiful hands. She was such a hard worker, a wonderful mother, grandmother, and great grandmother. I cried remembering how much my kids loved her and how much they looked forward to seeing her each week. I thought about the legacy that she had - 6 wonderful children, one of which is my mother.

I think I knew that the outcome was not going to be good. I couldn't breathe. I was worried about what the kids had seen though was pretty certain Kylee and Nick had kept themselves busy in Grandma's room and didn't really understand what was going on. I felt guilty thinking that maybe I should have and could have done more. I wondered why this had to happen while I was there. And then, I felt peace. I looked at her and her pretty white hair. I remembered the way that she had smiled at me just minutes before and I knew that she was at peace and wanted me to be also.

After help arrived and they transported Grandma to the hospital, I had the privilege of kissing her cheek and stroking her hair before she passed from this earth. I could not help but wonder and sincerely believe that she was greeted in heaven with the same outstretched arms of our loving Heavenly Father. Symbolic I think. Just as Austin took off running for her I am sure she took off running for my Grandpa Joe. That picture brings me so much joy!

As I have had a chance to reflect on my experience in the last week my testimony has been strengthened. I consider my experience a tender mercy of a loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful that I was able to hold Grandma in those last moments and hope that she felt my love as she passed from this earth. I am comforted by the knowledge that FAMILIES ARE FOREVER! What an amazing truth and one that makes experiences like these a little bit easier to get through. I know that one day I will have my chance to run into Grandma's outstretched arms.

Thanks for all of your kind words and love. I have felt the support of wonderful family and friends. Our family is holding up. The services in Portland were perfect. The weather was perfect - not a cloud in the sky or a drop of rain. Grandma was smiling down and sent us that day so we could all smile through our tears. My mom is hanging in there. Grandma did a wonderful job raising her and I feel lucky to call her mother.

10 comments:

Heather said...

You are amazing Renee! Thank you for your example. I'm so glad our family is close and we can enjoy many of life's experiences together. Love you!

Whitney Jensen said...

Renee - you've got me crying right now! I'd heard that story from my mom, but somehow it's different coming from you. You're right though - we are SO lucky that we know families are forever!

Heather said...

That is a very touching story, Renee. It's amazing the peace a testimony can bring. You are a great example to me. I need to take my kids to visit my grandparents more often! Thanks for that.

Rebecca said...

Thank you so much for sharing your touching story and testimony Renee. You've been in my prayers this past week, you're amazing.

Trent and Amber Whiting said...

Renee, I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it is like, 2 years ago we lost my brother in a car accident. IT was a very spiritual experience contrary to what people might think it is like to go through. I am very excited to be able to catch up with you....where do you live, what are you doing? Email me at trentamber@hotmail.com

Sharlynn said...

My heart goes out to you. What a neat experience to treasure. You are amazing and sound like you are doing well. I hope that you continue to hold up. I am so sorry to hear about your lose.

Niki Carter said...

Wow Renee, that is an amazing story - like something that only happens to other people. I think it is so beautiful that she was able to die in the arms of someone who loved her and not alone or with strangers. I cannot imagine how you must have felt there alone with all of your kids. Recently in a blessing, I was told that when the Lord challenges us he reveals our true character to us. You proved by your reaction to this experience that you have the strength of character to handle an experience like that. I'm sorry for your loss but what a happy moment your grandparents must have had!

The Tomlinsons said...

Renee, one thing I have always admired about you is your dedication to family. You always make sure your loved ones receive a visit from you and your litte family, even if it means a lengthly car ride for you! You are a great example for your kids, and hey, for me, too! Thank you for sharing your testimony and feelings. You have strengthened me.

Johnson said...

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I believe in tender mercies and that definetly was a tender mercy. I'm glad she wasn't alone when she passed and that she had you there with her. By the way..is this your grandmother from Norway? Her name sounds norwegian.

lramey said...

w.o.w. I have to admit, I'm jealous. Might be a weird thing to say, and it's not that I'm jealous that you sweet grandma passed away- I've missed my grandma every day for 2 years, but the way that happened- amazing. i wish I could've held my grandma until her last breath was given. that's beautiful. symbolic, definitely a tender mercy. our prayers are with your family!