Mom, is this your first time?

Tyler is pretty much MIA this week. He has customers in for their users conference which means he doesn't come home until late as he is out "entertaining". Whenever he travels or has stressful weeks I am extra conscious about making sure the house is clean and there is something yummy for him to come home to. Last night I decided that I would make cookies with the kids before bed, knowing that Tyler would be thrilled to watch the news and devour cookies and milk when he got home.

With all 3 kids at the counter, Kylee read me the recipe and we made the dough. Each kid had their share of dough before the cookies were baked. Kylee kept eating dough and saying, "Wow mom, is this your first time ever making cookies with dough that you didn't buy at the store?" I laughed the first time she said it but when the cookies came out of the oven and she tried one, she said it AGAIN!

I am kind of addicted to cake mixes that are on good sales. I have about 30 in my food storage and frosting to go with it. Albertsons had their Betty Crocker cookies mixes on sale awhile back too...so that is typically my idea of making cookies. I guess I need to be Betty Crocker more often and make cookies from scratch. I am teaching my Kylee to shop great deals at the grocery store but whatever happened to a nice warm cookie, made from scratch, fresh from the oven!

I have a lot of improving to do!

7 comments:

Angela and Mike said...

haha, when I read the title "mom, is this your first time" something else actually came to mind :) haha, so I had to read the post. I'm surprised that Kylee noticed the difference! She's very observant.

Lori said...

How cute! I too use box cakes and cookies. I've been trying to be more "domestic" lately and I've noticed how my little Hailey LOVES helping me in the kitchen. I guess that's worth the mess:)

By the way, I love your costume below, what a great sport!!

Maria said...

I am SO about ready-made mixes, or ready-made anything for that matter. You're not alone!

The Tomlinsons said...

I think that is so cute you do that for your husband! What a great wife. I should be more like that.

Sherian said...

You are so awesome! I picture your cute kids up on counters in the kitchen helping you, those are the memories they will cherish forever. I think you are a fantastic Mom! Doing those things takes so much patience, and someday Kylee will really appreciate it, and know why it wasn't a daily activity :)

Natalie said...

If there's one thing about growing up with you and being at your house it was your mom's homemade cookies and other treats. In fact, a couple weeks ago Booper and I were talking about how infamous Joeen's baked treats were. Didn't she teach you her secrets!? If not, she needs to. I know they're way better than the box! (You know I'm only giving you a hard time!)
I myself am guilty of buying the frozen cookie dough so I can just stick it right on the cookie sheet and into the oven.
You can always count on our kids to state the obvious for us. (I have a bum made of cotton) :)

Hollie said...

I can never tell the difference between betty crockers mixes and making them from scratch, and neither can half the neighborhood. :) Oh shoot, now they all know.