Evelyn Amanda Thompson



For those of you who have heard and have been worried and wondering...I am holding up okay. I consider my experience last night a tender mercie of a loving Heavenly Father. My heart is so full, I will write about my experience in my own words in the coming days but here is the shortened version of my Grandma's passing as written by my dad. Thank you for all your love, thoughts, and prayers!

"It is with sadness that I announce the passing of Joeen's mother Evelyn earlier this evening. For some time the family has been aware of a growing aneurysm in her brain, for which there was not a reasonable option for treatment. Over the past year she had experienced increasing difficulty with confusion and balance and had suffered at least one stroke. Today she ruptured the aneurysm, and passed away peacefully shortly thereafter.

Her last awake moments serve as an appropriate metaphor for what was most important to Evelyn. Renee was visiting with her children, and Austin was running up to Great Grandma who started to lift him up. At that instant she collapsed into Renee's arms, and was gone. I can vision Evelyn's wonderful smile as Austin approached, and the gratitude she would have felt to have such precious visitors. Her life was completely devoted to her extended family, and it some how seems fitting that her last moments would have been shared with one of her beloved grandchildren and a great grandson, reaching out to greet them.

It is not often enough that I reflect on the blessing of a wonderful family, or credit Evelyn adequately for much of what is good and wonderful in my life. From the frozen plains of Northern Minnesota and Norwegian immigrant heritage, raised by a widow during the Depression, this shy, humble, and self effacing woman raised six wonderful children who returned her love with a host of charming grandchildren who adored her. All of her energy was expended loving and supporting her extended family
and honoring the faith she adopted after marrying her husband, Joe."

19 comments:

Sharon said...

I just now read about Grandma Evy's passing on the family website. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Of course, after reading your dad's description, my first concern was about how you and your children are doing. I'm glad to hear that you are okay. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family. What a blessing you were to Grandma Evy.

brittany said...

I am glad to hear you are holding up, and so sorry to hear about your grandma! i always liked her!! our thoughts and prayers are with you and all of your family right now.

Sherian said...

Oh Renee, I am so sorry! I cannot imagine how you must be feeling, and what your sweet Austin has felt. I will keep your family in my prayers.
I hope it's alright to say, but I do think it is so special that you were there to be with her in that moment of her returning home. We are so blessed to understand the plan of salvation, that this life is not the end. I think that personally, sometimes my only comfort comes from knowing that loved ones and a loving Heavenly Father welcome home the ones we miss so dearly. With that though, I cannot imagine the range of emotions you have felt.
She sounds like a remarkable lady, give your Mom my best.

McGiven Family.... said...

I love you!

The Tomlinsons said...

What a touching moment. Our thought and prayers are with you.

Linds said...

I was so sad to hear of her passing. I about cried as I read your dad's details. We love you and are thinking of you!

Heather said...

When I did read how Evy passed, I immediately thought of you. What a blessing to be there but also must be hard to have experienced that. I too saw my Grandma Williams just moments before she passed and I will never forget that time. But more importantly is the life full of memories that you have and a wonderful family. She will be missed! You are in our thoughts and prayers!

Rebecs said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma's passing. It sounds like your family was super close to her. Although she lived a long life, it always still hard to let go at any time. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Becky said...

So sorry to hear that! And how bittersweet that you were there when she passed. Our thoughts are with you.

Heather said...

I'm thinking of you and praying for you and your mom at this time. I'm sure your hearts are very full.
What a sweet tribute.

lovell said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandma. I will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

The Alands said...

Renee,

I am so sorry for your loss. What a blessing that you were there and she wasn't alone. Our prayers are with you and your family.

amanda said...

i'm sorry to hear about your grandma. what a sweet eulogy by your dad. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Deanna said...

Bless you, Rene. It sounds like she was an incredible woman. We'll be praying for you.

Mary said...

So many people are blessed by a life well lived. Thanks for sharing a bit of your extended family with us in this emotional time.

Heather said...

I am glad you shared your testimony today in church. I was touched by your story and your testimony of the plan of salvation. My grandpa died a month ago, and I know it is hard, even though I know he is with Heavenly Father again, just like your grandma.

My prayers are with you!

Baxter's said...

A beautiful tribute. I hope I can be remembered just the same. Hang in there.

Natalie said...

I'm sorry to hear of your grandma's passing Renee. I hope you are all doing ok.

The Burninghams said...

I enjoyed your testimony on Sunday. I had no idea. Sorry to hear about your grandma.
On another note can you get your hands on the name and number of that recruiter you were telling me about. We need it!! :)