Martin's Cove


I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Martin's Cove for some training this weekend...what an amazing few days! Imagine your life today compared to that of those pioneers that sacrificed so much to travel to Zion.

I was touched by a photo of a young mother and her three children sitting in the snow trying to warm themeselves by the fire. Would I have been so strong? All weekend long I heard story after story of faithful men, women, and children who suffered so much. We did a mini-trek in an absolute hail storm, soaked to the bone, pulling handcarts in ankle deep mud. We were cold and hungry but it was nothing compared to what they went through. I pulled the handcart up a small hill as I slid through the mud and I cried as I thought of those women.

My heart is full and I was truly touched by the things that I saw, heard, and felt in that wonderful place. Wyoming does not have an LDS temple but they consider the sacred ground at and around Martin's Cove their temple. I believe it with all my heart. The spirit that I felt in that wonderful place was amazing. I felt as if I was surrounded by pioneers and felt their spirits there. I am so thrilled that the youth of our ward will have the opportunity to visit this amazing place in June. The missionaries kept telling us that the Martin's Cove experience can change lives and I believe it.

6 comments:

Lori said...

What a beautiful post. You're such a good person Renee, thanks for a great reminder of the sacrifice others made!

The Tomlinsons said...

I found my eyes filled with tears as I read this post. It is so touching to hear those stories. We owe so much to the Pioneers and thier sacrifice. We would not have the same religious freedom if it were not for them. They sacrificed for us. Thanks for sharing your feelings and experience.

Sherian said...

What an amazing thing to do! Are you training to go with the youth? I can't wait to hear the adventures in June. It is so humbling to hear stories of the pioneers. It really puts things into perspective for me. Thanks so much for sharing.

Amber said...

That is really neat. Sounds like an incredible experience. I wish I was able to come!

Baxter's said...

Wow. That was in the mission that my Mom and Dad presided over, and they spoke of many amazing experiences with the missionaries there. I have always wanted to visit. Why were you there?

Dottie Stay said...

That is so special Renee. It was just what I needed to read. Some times I think that life is hard, but I can't even imagine the suffering the saints went through. What an amazing experience. You are such a special gal. Thanks for always caring about me. I just love you!