I don't bake!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I prefer things store bought. Why make my own cookie dough when they sell it in nice little tubs at the grocery store? When asked to make a dessert for a party or Sunday dinner - I bring a typical cake and ice cream and sometimes even step it up and bake cupcakes! My High School boyfriend laughed at my only attempt to bake cookies when they came out flat and burnt...I am not much different in the kitchen today! Well, today I decided to make history and branch out. I am quite pleased with the results for a number of reasons:

1. All the ingredients in this recipe are usually found on the shelf in my pantry. No special trips to the store for crazy ingredients that I will never use again.

2. It is pretty much fool proof. If you can bake a cake without burning it (which I have done) and use a measuring cup you are in luck with this one!

3. Most importantly, it tastes NORMAL and my kids like everything in it.

So, if you are looking for an EASY recipe to spice up your dessert menu, this one is for you!

BOSTON CREAM PIE

1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup cold milk
1-1/2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
1 round yellow cake layer (8 or 9 inch)
1 square BAKER'S Unsweetened Chocolate
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. cold milk

Bake the cake as directed. When cool, cut in half (I used both layers). Mix pudding with milk and add Cool Whip. Put inbetween cake layers. Mix chocolate and butter and microwave stirring occasionally until melted. Add powdered sugar and milk and put on top!

Because I like things simple I even change it up a little. I used both layers of the cake instead of cutting just one...the bigger the better. I also used store bought chocolate frosting, heated in the microwave for about 40 seconds, stirred it up and poured it over the top! It drizzled down the sides and was much easier than melting my own chocolate...one thing I didn't have in my pantry!

9 comments:

megship said...

Uh....who has cool whip sitting around? Not me! It looks good though.

Heather said...

Recipe looks like a winner.

And, I hear you saw my amazing husband ref and didn't agree with some of his calls. He said to remind you that no coaches, players, parents, or fans are able to objective!

Deanna said...

Yum! I will have to try this!

Anonymous said...

Wrong time to look at your blog...I am so hungry and now I want that cake, crud what am I going to do? I will go buy one! ;-)

Shauna B. said...

FABULOUS! I love new recipes and I needed a birthday cake for my Father-in-law on Thursday. This will be perfect.

*A* said...

Dang, that looks YUMMY!!

*A* said...

Dang, that looks YUMMY!!

Mary said...

That looks SO GOOD! I'll have to keep that one and try it soon. I'm glad to know it's kid approved.

Hill Family said...

I'm one of the enrichment leaders in our ward, and we have asked everyone that brings a dessert to make a cake for the desert,this one sounds pretty good. Im gona give it try!!