Our Elf That Is NOT On ANY Shelf...


Have you seen this book? It is darling! Some lady in Costco told me about it a few weeks ago so I sent my good mother on the hunt to find it. A bundle of $$$ later it was delivered to me on Monday, December 1st. How fitting. The first day of December to start this fun tradition.

The story goes something like this...the elf is Santa's helper and he is magic. He sits on the shelf and watches the little girls and boys to see if they are being naughty or nice. He flies away to report to Santa every night so in the morning he is somewhere else in the house...watching. He can't be touched or he loses his magic and Santa has instructed him not to talk. The goal is that the kids are aware that they are being watched and will try to "behave" at this time of year.

Monday I excitedly read the story to my kids. At the end of the book it asks you to give the elf a name. The kids agreed on JOE and so off to bed they went. Well, bedtime lasted all of about 5 minutes before Kylee was in my room and in tears. Not just tears, but literally shaking. Why? Remember that this child of mine inherited my anxiety and was seriously AFRAID of the little elf named Joe. She wanted nothing to do with him and would not rest until she saw that he was placed back in that expensive box and put in the garage. Yikes! Needless to say there is no elf on any shelf in my house.

So much for what I thought would be a great Christmas tradition! In years past our Christmas presents had to be delivered to Tyler's work for him to bring home because she did not want Santa in our house while she was sleeping. I don't know why the fear of the elf surprises me at all. Oh well!

Happy reading...you really should go get this book!

8 comments:

Niki Carter said...

That is too funny! I don't think I have ever heard of a kid that was afraid of santa coming into her house. Kids are too funny!

Sherian said...

I love it! I think I will try and find the book...thanks for the info. What would Christmas be without kids, too fun. (Tresa says "hi")

Melissa said...

Poor little thing. I have been wanting to get this book. Maybe I will send my mom to get it because I am not getting out of the house much :) Having 3 has been great - I am just home all the time because I don't want anyone touching her and getting her sick! Congrats on #4, that is so exciting! I am sure it will be more exciting for you after you are over being sick. Hopefully you will be feeling better soon!

R.D.S said...

We have a similar thing at my house but his name is Meeps and my used him for my little brother. Well Addie is exactly like Kylee so Meeps does not make an appearance around Christmas time anymore.

Sharlynn said...

Sounds like a great book. Poor little Kylee. She just doesn't like strangers. SHe must have some imagination. Maybe you can try again down the road. I hope that you are feeling better.

Aleena said...

That sounds great! I am glad that you did this first, because it is turning out that Aria has developed a similar anxiety to anything "non human" (animals, mascots, life size dora's...) Thanks!

Angela and Mike said...

haha, this story is hysterical. Poor girl. Was Tyler sad the Elf wasn't on the shelf? I'm going to have to get that book...it sounds so cute!

Amy Morris said...

My mom got this book for my family last year! We love it! My kids get so excited everyday to find him! Have fun!