8 is Great!

After speaking in Sacrament Meeting and speaking at 8 is GREAT last night, I am hopefully done with public speaking for awhile. In the process of preparing my own two talks I forgot that my Kylee was supposed to give a talk in Primary. I must say that I am grateful for the Friend magazine that I had in my diaper bag...certainly came in handy for my last minute preparation on the Plan of Salvation! Phew!!! I guess we can't always be on top of everything, right? Here is the cute treat I gave to all of the incoming 8 year olds. We talked about the 3 Bears of Baptism and I think it was a hit. I talked about the meaning of the word covenant and then looked up the scriptures and read them while having the kids listen for the word BEAR in these 3 scriptures:

The 3 BEARS of Baptism:


1. BEAR His name - Mosiah 26:18 - We talked about what it means to take upon us the name of Christ and how we act knowing that we are His children. He was the perfect example for us to follow. We talked about keeping commandments.
2. BEAR one another's burdens - Mosiah 18:8 - I had my Nick come up and I put a backpack on him full of water bottles. We talked about burdens and how they can make us feel heavy. We then talked about ways that we can help lift each other. As they gave suggestions I removed water bottles from the backpack. I think they enjoyed it!
3. BEAR testimony - Alma 4:19 - I talked about the importance of bearing our testimonies and shared an experience about bearing my testimony with some non-members.

Hopefully they got it! I love that kids get so excited to be baptized. My cute Kylee took that step last summer and we will do it all over again with Nick this fall. Such a fun time.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds fantastic, Renee. You are so creative.

Unknown said...

I was great. Love the story.

Mary said...

Great ideas for 8 is great! We are lucky any time we are taught by you.

*A* said...

This is WONDERFUL! I'm also in the Primary Presidency so this will come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

Gabe & Emily said...

It was a hit...Ty taught us all about the 3 Bears for FHE the next night.

Jamie Jensen Hill said...

What a great idea! Super creative! :)