Work In Progress...

Let me start by saying that there are so many of you who are better at this than I am! Every 6 months or so I get on a food storage kick and this has been my month. I am pretty proud of my work so far...we will purchase two more shelves this week and I am excited to get them filled!

After sorting through, throwing out, and re-organizing I learned a few things:

First, I am terrible at rotating and always buy more before checking to see if I have it in the basement. The result: throwing out food that is expired because I forgot it existed.

Second, I am in need of a lot of things I thought that I had. More macaroni and cheese, catsup, propane tanks for the portable stove and heater and batteries to name a few.

Third, for some reason I am terrible at remembering to empty and refill water bottles and water barrels. Conference weekend is my goal this year...we will see if it happens.

Fourth, our 72 hour kits would be of little help in an emergency considering most of the food is 2 years old. Another goal for the first week in April. We use buckets and I just added the kids names so they know which is theirs. I know there are better ways but it will do for now.

Fifth, I HAVE NO CERAL. 3 boxes of LIFE is it right now. It feels like there has not been a good cereal sale in forever! I didn't take a picture of my one empty shelving unit because it is just that...EMPTY. I will be on the hunt for good cereal deals in the coming weeks.

Sixth, I have 4 buckets of wheat but no wheat grinder. Maybe now is the time to convince my hubby I need a Vitamix?

Anyway, this is certainly a work in progress but we are getting there. Slowly but surely I will be prepared. We do have a 3 months supply of Spaghetti-O's! Let me know what works for you...I am anxious to hear your thoughts!

8 comments:

Darci Dowdle said...

My thought is that you Rock. It looks awesome. Keep up the good work, you are inspiring me to do better too. Thanks for being my friend.

Erin said...

I just had instant Jealousy seeing your storage. Thanks for the motivation to get mine going.

Kristin and Dan said...

All I can say is WOW!!! I am so impressed, and those pictures make me realize just how unprepared I am!! And I agree about the cereal sales... there really has not been ANY good cereal sales lately! Great job with your food storage!

Heather said...

I am impressed! You are doing awesome.

A note about the dates on cams: those dates are NOT EXPIRATION DATES!!!! They are "best by" dates so the manufacturer wont be sued. If the can is not bulging, it is fine.

megship said...

Very impressive! I am gonna be inviting you to a food storage party with seriously amazing products so just get ready! It is gonna be in April and you will LOVE their stuff!

Jessica Kopp said...

I'm totally impressed. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to do better.

Sweet Tweets Boutique said...

Good job!!! I'm a crazy psycho when it comes to food storage!! I loooove doing it and I feel sooooo safe having it. I want to go to a food storage party!! I'm thinking of starting a monthly food storage group of some sort.

lori parkhurst said...

I agree with you about the cereal sales. When Albertson's got bought out, the dollar cereal sales ended! I do also remember smith's doing cereal for a dollar. I haven't been able to find it for less than 2 dollars a box. So when I see it for 2 dollars I stock up! Winco has a few for 1.98 but usually the small boxes! I love to do food storage too and I would feel too bad. yours looks pretty rockin!