Runner In Training...


I don't know what has gotten into me. This morning I caught wind that a family team was being organized for the Ragnar Las Vegas in October. Without even thinking I committed to join 11 other runners from my extended family and am now "in training" to run this race. The ironic thing is I AM NOT A RUNNER. I always look at people the run and wonder how on earth they do it. I run around the block, okay half way around the block, and I feel like my lungs will collapse and my legs will fall off. Small exaggeration but you get the picture. I ran my first "training" run (a whoppin' 15 minutes) tonight and it felt great. I only have a few months to get my body ready and hopefully I won't be an embarrassment to my team - for now I am way excited and will do my best to be ready! You know I am committed when I am willing to spend more than $30.00 on a pair of shoes...new running shoes will be on my feet next week. That means there is no turning back now! Wish me luck in this new adventure! I am told by my cousin that "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas". I have no clue what that means but I have a feeling that I am in for a fun, tiring, but fabulous experience! Vegas here I come!

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good luck!! If I ever sign up to run anything, you can guarantee I've been abducted by aliens and replaced with a look-alike imposter!

brittany said...

way to go renee! i can't wait. this is going to be awesome.

Angela and Mike said...

Time out, did I miss the whole family team thing for Vegas?...I want to run in it...hmmmm...

Niki Carter said...

Hey! I will be in Utah for the entire month of July. You are one of the few people that has kids my kids ages. I thought it might be fun to get together. Are you guys in Orem?? Anyway, email me tnicolecarter@yahoo.com

megship said...

It will be fun. Good for you! And, you are an athlete, so you are a runner. So knock it off!

Deanna said...

Hey a few of my friends from down here are running in that! I would love to but I'll be just about 6 weeks out from giving birth...not gonna happen. I am of the opinion that if you train, you can do it - this has been proven to me by many a friend and family member who have set goals to run races and DID! You can find all sorts of training schedules online - I highly recommend doing that. That way you can work up to the distances and be ready. Pretty soon, 3 miles will feel like nothing!

Laurie said...

You are AWESOME!!! We saw you running last night. You look like you have been running forever. You will do great.

Lori said...

Hey girl! I've been so terrible with blogs lately, but needed to catch up. Hope all is well! Renee, you know I am NOT a runner, but I did recently train and finish a half marathon. Hardest, but most amazing experience in my life. If I can do it, you can do it! You'll be so proud of yourself!!

*A* said...

My first thought is to say "YOU ARE FREAKING CRAZY, but then the more I think about it you are AMAZING! I need to do something like that...I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO out of shape its disgusting. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Rebecca said...

Awesome! There is a fun one here in Florida that goes from Clearwater Beach (Gulf Side) to Daytona Beach (Atlantic Side). We put a team together then it fell apart...still in the workings to try to put another one together. Good luck...you can definitely do this :)