Wish I was here...




My parents sent this picture...it makes me sad that I am not there to be in this picture with them! This is the home the I lived in in Iowa when my dad was doing his residency. I don't have any real memories of this house, but have seen many pictures of myself in a pile of leaves with my mom and dad next to me. I have heard stories about the walks that we would take and all the things we would see, the neighbors and friends we had, and I can't forget the green bug that was parked in the carport. Iowa is cold in the winter so when the car was parked there my parents would lift the hood and plug in a light to put on the engine to keep it warm enough to start in the morning. I have heard the stories endless times about packing up the station wagon (that they saved and saved for) and loading the moving truck that we shared with the Lind's as we made our way back across the country to Utah. I know that my mom hated being alone late at night so she would keep my brother & I up late to keep her company. My mom was a trooper. She was alone a lot but we never knew she felt alone. My dad worked his tail off and still does. I never remember thinking he was gone a a lot, even as I grew older. My parent pretty much rock! They had no family around but made great friends. I hope that someday I get the chance to travel back to Iowa and see my old stomping grounds for myself. Until then, this picture will have to do!

My little sister married a neat kid from Iowa so they are there for their wedding reception. I contemplated going and it is killing me not to be there....but, my motherly duties call as it is my sweet Kylee's 8th birthday tomorrow. 8 is a big one - one that I don't want to miss! So though it kills me not to be there I am grateful that I am here at home, surrounded by my sweet kids and being a mom myself. I have been alone all week, much like my mother once was. I am drained. Tired. Exhausted. But I am still a mom to 4 pretty cool kids and there is no place else I would rather be!

2 comments:

Gabe & Emily said...

Living the single mom life too - call me if you wanna go hit McDonalds for ice cream & a Redbox :-)

McGiven Family.... said...

So fun to see these pictures! I am sorry you didn't get to go but I am glad you are home with Kylee on her special day! Love you!