We LOVE our daddy!



Is it Father's Day? Nope. Is it Tyler's Birthday? Nope. So what is the occasion then and why on earth is Tyler wearing a Birthday hat?

Yesterday we had a daddy appreciation dinner and it was a hit with my kids. We prepared daddy's favorite meal (hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill) and bought him is favorite treats (chocolate) and even included a new tie (just because). They kids picked out the balloons (blue is his favorite color) and helped make a sign. We turned down the lights and turned on his favorite music and yelled and screamed when he walked in the door from work. Being grateful was the focus of our family night last night and I wanted the kids to understand that they have a lot to be grateful for. Sometimes I worry that they forget how hard their dad works to provide them with the things that they have. Don't worry - they made sure I knew they loved me too but it was great to celebrate their dad for no other reason than we think he is the best!

12 comments:

brittany said...

what a fun idea! we will have to do that one of these days!

Kelly said...

That is such an awesome idea, Renee! I can remember thinking my mom was crazy when she told us how good we had it. Now, I hear my self preaching the same thing and constantly looking for ways to show the the boys how true it is. Thanks for the great idea!

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous idea! I bet Tyler loved the surprise! And what a good way to help the kids remember how awesome their dad is and how important it is to say thanks.

Erin said...

How fun. Now I have an idea for FHE next monday. Great Idea

Deanna said...

I'm going to say 'amen' to all of the above comments because it truly is a great idea!

Gabe & Emily said...

I'm so excited to give this a try - way to inspire me! Definitely worthwhile for the kids to show their dad how special he is & say thanks for all his hard work. - Em

The Tomlinsons said...

Oooo, what a great idea!

Jules said...

That is the best idea I have heard in a while. My kids don't even look up half the time when Adam gets home. I've been telling them they should run to him and hug him, I've even tried reading Daddy books to them. They love him, but they need to understand this. I hope you don't mind if I steal your idea it is too awesome not to have it copied.

Shauna B. said...

Good idea! I might copy you on that! Your California trip looks fun!

Our Family said...

Thanks for posting this, I think I will use your great idea! Or plant a seed in Kyle's head so they'll do it for me:)

Rebecca said...

...don't tell Bryant ;)

Unknown said...

What great ideas you come up with. Your children have the bestest mom ever.